Photo Credit: HonestlyYum.com
GINGERBREAD GIFT TAGS
- 3 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup of margarine
Royal Icing Ingredients:
- 1/2 pound of powdered sugar
- 2 egg whites at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- Stir dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Combine corn syrup, brown sugar and margarine in a saucepan. Stir constantly over medium heat until margarine is melted. Stir liquid into flour mixture. Mix well using hands to mix as dough becomes stiff. Chill dough for half an hour.
- Roll dough into 1/8 inch thickness onto parchment paper.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Use a straw to punch out a small hole at the top of each cookie.
- Remove the scraps and re-roll into more dough to cut into shapes.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown at 350 degrees. Cool completely on a rack.
- To make the royal icing, sift the sugar into a bowl. Place egg whites into the bowl of a mixer. Add sugar and cream of tartar to whites while mixing. When all sugar is incorporated, turn mixer on high and beat until thick and very white, about 5-7 minutes. Cover the icing with a damp cloth until you use it because it dries very quickly.
- Pipe icing into a piping bag with a #1 round tip and ice the gift tags.
- Once the icing has hardened, thread the gift tags with twine or ribbon and tie onto the top of your presents!
For this and many more great DIY ideas, you can visit www.honestlyyum.com
Shop our blog now for this and other looks for the holidays, just click on the link above!