Keep warm this fall with a rich, ‘grown up’ twist on a traditional cold weather favorite, courtesy of Waiting on Martha!
Photo Credit: www.waitingonmartha.com
Spiked Mexican hot chocolate
- 4 cups 2% evaporated milk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 oz. Don Julio Tequila
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 5 oz. bittersweet chocolate, cut into pieces
- whipping cream or marshmallow to top
- 1 In a saucepan, whisk evaporated milk, whole milk, vanilla, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, chili powder, cayenne and sea salt.
- 2 Once combined, add cinnamon sticks and cook over medium low heat until warm, stirring occasionally.
- 3 Once warm, add chocolate and cook until melted.
- 4 Bring mixture to a simmer, reduce heat and continue to simmer until liquid thickens (approximately 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- 5 In your pumpkin mugs, add Don Julio Tequila and Mexican hot chocolate, stir to combine. Top with whipping cream or marshmallow.